A recent class speaker said “you can make anything into a design project.” So, as my upcoming road trip came into focus, I decided to take this to heart. I’ve spent the past few days with family in my home state of Minnesota recovering from the end of the semester, and will be driving my car from from Minneapolis to Atlanta tomorrow. It will take 2 days and over 18 hours.
How then, does one fill 18 hours in a car driving across America? Make it into a design project! I don’t know exactly what this turn out like, but I have a few rules set for myself:
- Take a photo with my 35mm camera every hour, on the hour
- “Humans of New York” style interview one stranger in every state I visit and try to take their picture
- Make a Vine length video blog once an hour
- Stop at at least one ridiculous road side attraction per day
- Get “lost” at least twice and/or stumble upon some picturesque Iowa farm town (…and If I find Chris Soules, that wouldn’t hurt, either)
Also in tow, a few roles of b&w and color film, an early birthday present in the form of Yes Please and What Do You Do With An Idea, Ellen on audio book, my sewing machine, a few canvases and my mom’s vintage Robin Hood bike I plan to fix up over the summer. With that, I ask you to wish me luck and safe travels!! The Honda’s filled with gas and the road trip bag of snacks is plentiful. See you on the other side!